What's in a name?
Opened in December 2018, Elsie May’s Electric Lounge is a family-run café and bar, named after the owner’s grandmother, Elsie May, who always dreamt of having her own tea room one day.
The building was built in 1927 and opened in 1929 as the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, and Huntingdonshire Electricity Company Showroom.
This building was designed to show off the wonders of electricity and to try to convince people that gas powered lamps were a thing of the past. We believe this is why BC & HE Co. made a statement with this building with high ceilings, oak parquet floors and large windows which we have tried our best to restore and bring back to life for everyone to enjoy. Since then, the building has been a job centre, nightclub and an amusement arcade.